Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"I Scream" Shirt Tutorial


I made this "i scream" onesie the other day for a cute little baby.  Do you want to make one?  Well then, here you go...


Supplies
-something to applique (shirt, baby bib, onesie, etc.)
-scrap fabric
-coordinating thread
-Wonder Under or fusible web of choice (Wonder Under can be purchased by the yard at any fabric store)
-freezer paper (can be found at most grocery stores)
-exacto knife
-cutting mat
-fabric paint (I used a textile medium mixed in with acrylic paint, more info below)
-foam paint brush
-tape
-all the usual sewing supplies (sewing machine, scissors, iron etc.)

 Freezer Paper Stencil
1- Print pattern and trace "i scream" onto the paper side (dull side) of your freezer paper.  I have heard that if you cut your freezer paper to be 8 1/2" x 11"  then you can print directly onto it but my printer is finicky and won't take it, but maybe yours will!
2- Tape your pattern onto your cutting mat and cut it out with your exacto knife very carefully.  Take your time.  Remember to save the inside of the letters e and a.
3- Place your stencil where you want it on top of the onesie.  Make sure you put the inside of the e and a back into place.  Iron down the stencil very well. This prevents any paint from leaking.

4- Grab your fabric paint.  If you are using a textile medium like I did (which turns any craft paint into fabric paint) mix them according to the directions on the bottle.  I chose to buy the textile medium because I already have a bunch of acrylic paint and that way I have lots of color options for any freezer paper stenciling I do in the future.  I found the stuff I used at Joann's for $2.99.  Don't forget your coupon! 
5- Put another piece of freezer paper in the middle of your onesie to protect it from any leaks.  Now get painting!  I use a dry foam brush and paint on very thin coats until I get the desired color/coverage.  Let your paint completely dry.  Once it is dry, heat set your paint by turning the onesie inside out and placing a cloth on top and iron as usual.

Creating the Applique Ice Cream Cone

6-Trace the the cone pattern onto the paper side of your Wonder Under.  Remember that your image will be reversed but for this case it doesn't really matter.
7- Iron Wonder Under onto the wrong side of your fabric scraps.
8- Cut out your pattern pieces and peel off the backing.  Arrange the pieces however you'd like onto the onesie and iron them into place according to your fusible web instructions.  For Wonder Under I just stuck my iron right on top of it and gave it plenty of heat for about 20 seconds moving the iron back and forth.


9- A little trick I learned for appliqueing on stretchy fabric, such as a onesie, is to stick a piece of paper underneath the onesie.  When you do this the machine grabs onto the paper instead of the stretchy fabric.  This helps to avoid any puckers in the fabric and makes it a lot easier!
10- I used a normal straight stitch to applique but turned the stitch length down so I would have more control going around all those curves!  If you use a straight stitch instead of a zig-zag (the typical stitch used when appliqueing), then your applique may fray a bit when washed.  I like the look of that but if you don't, then use a zig-zag stitch.
11- To applique, stitch along the very edge of all your applique pieces (make sure you are only sewing through one layer and not sewing the shirt closed!).  I thought it would be cute to stitch through the middle of the cone to create a waffle pattern but then I got lazy!  Once you are done, clip your threads and carefully tear away the paper. Your shirt is complete!
Pair it with some matching hair clips and you are set!
Come back tomorrow.  I am doing a blog swap where I'll show you how to make the flower clips.

I will be linking to some of these parties.  Check them out for more crafty ideas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so darn crafty. I wish I had a creative brain! :) That is such an adorable little onsie.

Brandy said...

Cute! what an adorable idea! I found you on One Pretty thing.

branzantello@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I should have a shirt like that for me!

Michelle said...

Very cute...I'll have to try this out for my little lady!

Unknown said...

oooh this is sooo cute!!! I am totally trying this for my baby cousin, thanks for the tute!!!

Love,

The Creative Muslimah <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails