Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hutch Makeover

Here is the other part of my mom's kitchen redo that I showed you yesterday.  This wall is on the other side of the kitchen that you didn't see.

Here is the BEFORE...                                                    and here is the AFTER...         

The power of paint amazes me every time!  I think it looks so much more modern. She painted the wall a rusty red with a satin finish and gave the hutch a makeover as well. 

She used tintable primer instead of paint like what she used on her counter tops. Then she used some brown antiquing gel over the whole thing (It was Delta brand and it's just the cheap stuff found at craft stores in the little bottles).  To apply the antiquing gel she wiped some on with a sponge and then wiped it off until you have the coverage you want.

She replaced the hardware with some of the same drawer pulls as her cabinets.  Like before, they used to be brass.  She spray painted them a flat black color and then added some of the same brown antiquing gel on top that she used for the hutch.  This gave it the look of oil rubbed bronze.  She decided to leave off one of the doors to give the hutch  a different look and then she put in some wicker baskets that she found and spray painted brown.  I don't think I have ever have thought about spray painting baskets but why couldn't you?  They look great!

There you have it.  Didn't she do a great job?  I will be linking to some of these places.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

She did a fabulous job, I love this so much. The white makes it look like a completel different peice. I've been looking on graigslist for something I can, no luck!

AggieMay said...

WOW- I love it!

Camilla said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I can't believe she was two months early! I'm sure that was scary, but so glad she is good now. And I cannot believe the faux paint job on your mom's cabinets, incredible! Following you now!
http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Your mom did a fabulous job! I'm so jealous!
xoxo,
Amy

Unknown said...

The after is amazing, love it, well done. jen

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I'm always amazed at what some fresh paint and new hardware can do!

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

White is like botox for furniture! Its great!!
Hopped over From Sew Much Ado Linky Party!
Http://accomplishingmotherhood.blogspot.com

Maggie said...

Oh my - that is fabulous.

I want it!!!

Jessica said...

looks awesome! The new hardware makes a huge difference!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Love it! I am a new follower! www.landofthemisfittoyz.blogspot.com

. said...

It looks awesome! Totally updated.

Do you know why she uses tintable primer instead of paint? I'm just curious if I start using it too. LOL

Homeroad said...

Wow! I love the hutch! I want to paint mine white now! Thanks for the great idea!
Susan
myhomeroad.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a hutch for my kiving room. I love what you did with yours!

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

Love it! Great transformation =)

Sarita said...

I'm totally jealous! That looks awesome! Your mom rocked it! I'm still don't have a hutch, but one day it will be our most "adult" furniture piece :-)

OrganizingMadeFun said...

Oh, it's so beautiful - the baskets are such a great touch! I really like the black {or is it ORB} hinges and knobs! Great job!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
Organizing Made Fun

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

What a terrific makeover. Your hutch is one of my favorites I have ever seen. Great job. I love the basket area where you removed the door.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Kelli - Fantastic job on this amazing transformation. The white is stunning - such a great piece. Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Stephanie lynn

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Wow this looks amazing! What a transformation.

Amanda said...

Its lovely, such a great job

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

I love the look of the hutch. It is not set up like any I have seen. It is truly beautiful and even more so after the transformation. You have a busy momma!

Amanda M. said...

WOW - LOVE this hutch!

April said...

That is beautiful. I love the how she removed the door and put the baskets in. It really gives it an updated look. I would love for you to link this to my Sew Crafty party & giveaway.

http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/agape-love-boutique-giveaway-sew-crafty.html

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

great job! the paint makes all the difference!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails