Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pretty Pleated Pillow


I kind of have an obsession with pillows. Ironically, the pillows on my couch are p-i-t-i-f-u-l! I think they are about an inch thick because they've lost all their stuffing! I am determined to change that, so to start I made this pleated pillow. I want to have a mixture of both patterned and solid pillows but I didn't want the solid pillows to be boring so I have been on the look out for some pillow inspiration. I found some from Cottage Instincts when I saw this pillow hanging out in the background on this couch...

Image Source, Cottage Instincts


I attempted to copy hers which I'm sure you'd think is simple because there is not much to them but I am definitely what you would call a beginner sewer. As in, this is the first pleat I've ever sewn.  If I knew what I was doing I would've done a tutorial, but I didn't.  The things I will change the next time is add extra length to the pleated panel of fabric.  I only added an extra 6 inches for three pleats which was not near enough, but you live and learn right?

The sad news for this pillow is that it probably won't even be used. I am trying to use more bold colors in my living room and I don't think this fits into that category, but well see. I bought the fabric at Home Fabrics in Salt Lake, which in my opinion is the best place to get cheap but quality home decor weight fabric, they also have one in Las Vegas. I have to go every time I visit my family.  The fabric was on clearance for only a $1.00 a yard and was wide enough to get 2 pillows out of so you can't beat 50 cents!

I am linking this to a few of these places and also to the bloggers pillow party over at Stiched in Color.
Blogger's Pillow Party
Go check it out for some great inspiration.  I especially loved this one.  Definitely want to put that on my to-do list.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

this is so cute!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

That's amazing price for fabric! I hope you do use it =)

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Your pillow turned out beautifully. I love pillows too and always love a little texture. And you can't beat that price. I'd buy just about any fabric for $1.00/yd!
http://shannonsews.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by!! I love this pillow, the fabric is great. I love the pleats, they add dimension. I think it makes the pillow look sophisticated!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love the clean lines!

regan said...

Kelli....your pillow is so chic! I love it....the inspiration pillow was kindof shabby chic....but yours is pure sophistication! And for so little money! Well done!

Unknown said...

This pillow is so original! I love it! Also loving the textured fabric you chose to make it from.

Frugal Home Designs said...

Gorgeous! Wish had a tutorial. Thank for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails